, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- October 01 Papankusha Ekadashi
- October 1, 1847, Birth of Annie Besant
- October 04 Kojagara Puja, Sharad Purnima
- October 05 Ashwina Purnima
- October 08 Karwa Chauth
- October 12 Ahoi Ashtami
- October 13, 1911, Death of Sister Nivedita
- October 15 Rama Ekadashi
- October 16 Govatsa Dwadashi
- October 16: 1921, Birth of Sita Ram Goel
- October 17 Dhanteras, Kali Chaudas, Tula Sankranti
- October 18 Narak Chaturdashi
- October 19 Diwali, Lakshmi Puja
- October 20 Govardhan Puja
- October 21 Bhaiya Dooj
- October 25 Chhath Puja
- October 28, 1867, Birth of Sister Nivedita
- October 30 Kansa Vadh
- October 30, 1883, Death of Dayananda Saraswati
- October 31 Devutthana Ekadashi