Today's featured article
, "the knowledge for long life in Vedas"; or ayurvedic medicine
is a Hindu system of traditional medicine
native to India
and a form of alternative medicine
. The earliest literature on Indian medical practice appeared during the Vedic period
in India, in Rigved
Some other known written text are Suśruta Saṃhitā and the Charaka Saṃhitā, encyclopedias of medicine compiled from various sources from the mid-first millennium BCE to about 500 CE, and are among the foundational and formally compiled works of Ayurveda. Over the following centuries, ayurvedic practitioners developed a number of medicinal preparations and surgical procedures for the treatment of various ailments. Current practices derived (or reportedly derived) from Ayurvedic medicine are regarded as part of complementary and alternative medicine. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
In the News
Hindu scholar Sarah L Gates is collecting data on Bias and Prejudice Against Hindu Identity, Faith and/or Culture. Without data, there is no next step forward. Please take some time to fill the survey. Link to Survey
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- October 01 Papankusha Ekadashi
- October 1, 1847, Birth of Annie Besant
- October 04 Kojagara Puja, Sharad Purnima
- October 05 Ashwina Purnima
- October 08 Karwa Chauth
- October 12 Ahoi Ashtami
- October 13, 1911, Death of Sister Nivedita
- October 15 Rama Ekadashi
- October 16 Govatsa Dwadashi
- October 16: 1921, Birth of Sita Ram Goel
- October 17 Dhanteras, Kali Chaudas, Tula Sankranti
- October 18 Narak Chaturdashi
- October 19 Diwali, Lakshmi Puja
- October 20 Govardhan Puja
- October 21 Bhaiya Dooj
- October 25 Chhath Puja
- October 28, 1867, Birth of Sister Nivedita
- October 30 Kansa Vadh
- October 30, 1883, Death of Dayananda Saraswati
- October 31 Devutthana Ekadashi