, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- April 7, 1920. Birth of Ravi Shankar
- April 11 Varuthini Ekadashi
- April 14 Solar New Year, Mesha Sankranti
- April 18 Parashurama Jayanti, Akshaya Tritiya
- April 22 Ganga Saptami
- April 23 Sita Navami
- April 25 Mohini Ekadashi
- April 26 Gauna Mohini Ekadashi
- April 28 Narasimha Jayanti
- April 29 Vaishakha Purnima, Buddha Purnima
- April 30 Narada Jayanti
- Rama Navami (Hinduism)
- Thai and Khmer New Year
- April 1253 – Nichiren, a Japanese monk, expounded Namu Myōhō Renge Kyō for the first time, in effect founding Nichiren Buddhism.
- April 1897 – The Ramakrishna Mission was founded by Swami Vivekananda to serve as the humanitarian counterpart to the Hindu monastic order Ramakrishna Math.