Vishal Agarwal (born 1970) is an Indian-American author. He holds master's degrees in Materials Engineering and Business Administration, but writes on Indian philosophy, history and contemporary Indian society from an academic standpoint.
His articles also appeared among others in the Minnesota Star, Metro News (from San Jose), Baltimore Sun, The Wall Street Journal (by the Pulitzer prize winning journalist Daniel Golden) and in publications in journals such as the Journal of Indo-European Studies.
He was also interviewed by Dr Martha Nussbaum (Professor of Law, University of Chicago) for her book "The clash within" which also describes Vishal's work. In July 2006, he was awarded the 'Praachavidyaa-paarangata' award by the World Association of Vedic Studies, at their annual conference in Houston, Texas (USA).
Partial list of publications
- A case study in Eminent Historiography, in India's Only Communalist, ed. by Koenraad Elst, Voice of India: New Delhi (2005)
- Awakening Latent Spirituality, Nurturing Children in the Hindu Tradition. pp. 19–32 in Nurturing Child and Adolescent Spirituality, ed. by Karen M Yust et al., Rowman and Littlefield Publishers Inc (Chicago); 2006
Criticism of bias in Indology
- The New Stereotypes Of Hindus In Western Indology 
Criticism of pseudo-science / psychoanalysis in Indology
- Wendy Doniger
- Invading the Sacred, 2007 (Chapter 17 consists of a rebuttal to Courtright’s writing on Ganesha by Vishal Agrawal and Kalavai Venkat.)
- A Critical Review of Paul Courtright Ganesa, Lord of Obstacles, Lord of Beginnings (Oxford University Press, 1985)
- When the Cigar becomes a Phallus
Criticism of Vinay Lal
Criticism of Romila Thapar
- Romila Thapars Ancient India, A Textbook of History for Middle Schools
- Appointment of Professor Romila Thapar to the Kluge Chair at the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
- It is Official Now - Romila Thapar Defends the Aryan Invasion Theory!
Criticism of Witzel
- The Rgveda Samhita as Known to AV-Par. 46 (M. Witzel)- A Review, Indo-Iranian Journal vol. 25: 1983, pg. 238-239 The Rgveda Samhita as Known to AV-Par. 46 (M. Witzel)- A Review
- On Perceiving Aryan Migrations in Vedic Ritual Texts. In 'Puratattva' (Journal of the Indian Archaeological Society), vol. 36 (2005-2006), pp. 155–165
- A Reply to Michael Witzel’s ‘Ein Fremdling im Rgveda’, (2003/2005). (Journal of Indo-European Studies, Vol. 31, No.1-2: pp. 107–185, 2003). In Puratattva, Vol. 35 (2004-2005)
- Is there Vedic Evidence for the Indo-Aryan Immigration to India? Dialogue (Journal of Astha Bharati), Vol 8, No. 1 (July- September 2006); pp. 122–145
- What is the Aryan Migration Theory; Journal of Interdisciplinary Studies in History and Archaeology, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Summer 2005); pp. 1–46
- The Aryan Migration Theory: Fabricating Literary Evidence 
California textbook anti-Hindu bias
- Misrepresentation of Ancient India in American School Textbooks. History Today, Vol 7 (2006-2007); pp. 72–89
- http://web.archive.org/web/20070423000739/http://www.india-forum.com:80/articles/68/1/Women-in-Hindu-Dharma-and-California-State-Grade-VI-textbooks 
- Misrepresentation and Stereotyping of Hindu Dharma in History Textbooks in India In "History Today", vol. 5, 2004-05:61-76
- *A Reply to Michael Witzel’s ‘Ein Fremdling im Rgveda’, (2003/2005). (Journal of Indo-European Studies, Vol. 31, No.1-2: pp.107-185, 2003). In Puratattva, Vol. 35 (2004-2005)
- Nussbaum, Martha (2007), The clash within democracy, religious violence, and India's future. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press. ISBN 9780674030596.
agarwal, "Is There Vedic Evidence for the Indo-Aryan Immigration to India?", Dialogue (Journal of Astha Bharati, New Delhi), vol. 8, No. 1, July-September 2006, pp. 122-145.
- Vishal at Hindu review
- Vedic evidence for Aryan Migration (AMT) puratattva?** On P e rc e iving A ryan Mig rat ions in Ve dic R it ual Te xts:By Vishal AgarwalPuratattva (Bulletin of the Indian Archaeolgical Society), New Delhi, No.36,...