Today's featured article
, "the knowledge for long life in Vedas"; or ayurvedic medicine
is a Hindu system of traditional medicine
native to India
and a form of alternative medicine
. The earliest literature on Indian medical practice appeared during the Vedic period
in India, in Rigved
Some other known written text are Suśruta Saṃhitā and the Charaka Saṃhitā, encyclopedias of medicine compiled from various sources from the mid-first millennium BCE to about 500 CE, and are among the foundational and formally compiled works of Ayurveda. Over the following centuries, ayurvedic practitioners developed a number of medicinal preparations and surgical procedures for the treatment of various ailments. Current practices derived (or reportedly derived) from Ayurvedic medicine are regarded as part of complementary and alternative medicine. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
In the News
Hindu scholar Sarah L Gates is collecting data on Bias and Prejudice Against Hindu Identity, Faith and/or Culture. Without data, there is no next step forward. Please take some time to fill the survey. Link to Survey [archive]
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- September 1 - Parsva Ekadashi
- September 1, 1896 - Birth of A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
- September 3 - Onam
- September 5 - Anant Chaturdashi, Ganesh Visarjan - Ganesh Chaturthi
- September 6 - Bhadrapada Purnima, Pratipada Shraddha
- September 6, Madhu Purnima: It occurs on the day of the full moon in the month of Bhadro (August/September). The day commemorates an occasion on which the Buddha retreated to the wilderness of Parileyya forest to bring peace between two quarrelling factions of disciples.
- September 7, 2011 Delhi bombing
- September 9, 1947 - Death of Ananda Coomaraswamy
- September 11, 1893 – On the opening day of the first Parliament of the World's Religions in Chicago, Swami Vivekananda introduced Hinduism to the United States.
- 13 September 2008 Delhi bombings
- September 16 - Indira Ekadashi, Kanya Sankranti, Vishwakarma Puja
- Sep 18, 2016 Uri attack
- September 19 - Sarva Pitru Amavasya
- September 20 - Navratri Begins
- September 20, 1933 - Death of Annie Besant
- September 23 - Fall equinox
- September 24 2002 : Akshardham Temple attack
- September 27- Saraswati Avahan
- September 28 - Saraswati Puja, Durga Ashtami
- September 29 - Maha Navami
- September 30 - Dussehra, Vijayadashami