Today's featured article
faculty or part of the being, in Sri Aurobindo
's philosophy, is the conceptual and cognitive mind
. Unlike Western psychology
, in which mind and consciousness
are considered the same, Sri Aurobindo strongly distinguishes between the "Mental" and the "Vital
" (emotional) faculties, as well as between Mind and pure Consciousness. Sri Aurobindo in part bases his concept of the Mental on his reading of the Taittiriya Upanishad
, the mental being (or perhaps just the Mental Purusha) is the mano-maya-atma
- the self made of mind (manas
). (Full article...
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
In the News
Hindu scholar Sarah L Gates is collecting data on Bias and Prejudice Against Hindu Identity, Faith and/or Culture. Without data, there is no next step forward. Please take some time to fill the survey. Link to Survey [archive]
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- December 03 Margashirsha Purnima, Dattatreya Jayanti
- December 3 2003 - Death of Sita Ram Goel
- December 7, 2010 Varanasi bombing
- December 11, 1931: Birth of Osho
- December 11, Death of Ravi Shankar
- December 13 Saphala Ekadashi
- December 13, 2001: 2001 Indian Parliament attack
- December 15 Dhanu Sankranti
- December 16: Victory Day in Bangladesh and India (1971)
- December 21: Uttarayana, Winter solstice
- December 26: 1998 - Death of Ram Swarup
- December 29 Pausha Putrada Ekadashi