| | Yoga
, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- February 11 Sunday Vijaya Ekadashi
- February 12 Monday Kumbha Sankranti
- February 12, 1824, Birth of Dayananda Saraswati
- February 13 Tuesday Maha Shivaratri
- February 13: 1913 – Thubten Gyatso, the 13th Dalai Lama, declared the independence of Tibet from the Republic of China.
- February 15 Thursday Surya Grahan *Anshika
- February 18: 2007 – Terrorist bombs exploded on the Samjhauta Express train in Panipat, Haryana, India, killing 68 people.
- February 21, 1878, Birth of Mirra Alfassa
- February 26 Monday Amalaki Ekadashi
- February 27: 2002 - Godhra train burning. A Muslim mob set fire to a standing train, killing about 60 Hindus, an act which triggered the Godhra riots
- February. Chinese New Year
- February. Losar in Bhutan and Tibet