, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- May 2: 1921 – Birth of Satyajit Ray, Indian director, producer, and screenwriter (d. 1992)
- May 3: 1913 – Raja Harishchandra the first full-length Indian feature film is released, marking the beginning of the Indian film industry.
- May 4: 1649 – Birth of Chhatrasal, Indian warrior (d. 1731) from the Bundela Rajput clan, who fought against the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb, and established his own kingdom in Bundelkhand, becoming the founder of Panna State
- May 5: 1479 – Birth of Guru Amar Das, Indian 3rd Sikh Guru (d. 1574)
- May 6: 1542 – Francis Xavier reaches Old Goa, the capital of Portuguese India at the time.
- May 7: 1861 – Birth of Rabindranath Tagore, Indian author and poet, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1941)
- May 8: 1916 – Birth of Chinmayananda Saraswati, Indian spiritual leader and educator (d. 1993)
- May 8: 1891 – Death of H.P. Blavatsky
- May 10: Visaka Bochea Day (Buddhist)
- May 10: 1855 – Birth of Yukteswar Giri, Indian guru and educator (d. 1936)
- May 10: 1857 – Indian Rebellion of 1857 begins.
- May 11: 1895 – Birth of Jiddu Krishnamurti, Indian-American philosopher and author (d. 1986)
- May 14: 1657 – Birth of Sambhaji, Indian emperor (d. 1689)
- May 18: 2012 – Death of Jai Gurudev, Indian religious leader (year of birth unconfirmable)
- May 20: 1894 – Birth of Chandrashekarendra Saraswati, Indian guru and scholar (d. 1994)
- May 20: 1975-1979 Day of Remembrance (Cambodia)
- May 28: 1883 – Birth of Vinayak Damodar Savarkar, Indian poet and politician (d. 1966)
- May 28: Martyrdom of 5th guru, Guru Arjan Dev Ji, he never bowed to tyrants and underwent 5 days of torture as ordered by Jahangir.
- May 30: 1963 – Buddhist crisis: A protest against pro-Catholic discrimination was held outside South Vietnam's National Assembly, the first open demonstration against President Ngô Đình Diệm.