| | Yoga
, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- January 01 Pausha Purnima
- January 04 Sakat Chauth
- January 12 Shattila Ekadashi
- January 14 Pongal, Makar Sankranti
- January 14: 1957 – Kripalu Maharaj became the fifth Jagadguru ("world teacher"), a Hindu spiritual leader.
- January 16 Mauni Amavas
- January 19, 1990: Death of Osho
- January 19: 1990 - Kashmir holocaust day
- January 21 Vasant Panchami
- January 24 Ratha Saptami, Bhishma Ashtami
- January 27 Jaya Ekadashi
- January 31 Magha Purnima, Chandra Grahan *Purna
- January 6: 1915 - Birth of Alan Watts