, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- June 1, 1830 – Death of Swaminarayan, Indian religious leader (b. 1781)
- June 3, 1947 – Mountbatten Plan
- June 3, 1963 – Buddhist crisis: South Vietnamese Army soldiers attacked protesting Buddhists in Huế, with liquid chemicals from tear gas grenades, causing 67 people to be hospitalised.
- June 9, 2017 – Saga Dawa or Saka Dawa (Tibetan)
- June 12, 1976 – Death of Gopinath Kaviraj, Indian philosopher and scholar (b. 1887)
- June 14, 1444 – Birth of Nilakantha Somayaji, Indian astronomer and mathematician (d. 1544)
- June 16, Martyrdom of Guru Arjan, the fifth Sikh Guru
- June 19, 1947 – Birth of Salman Rushdie, Indian-English novelist and essayist
- June 21: Solstice
- June 21: International Yoga Day
- June 23, 1914 – Death of Bhaktivinoda Thakur, Indian guru and philosopher (b. 1838)
- June 25, 1975 – Prime Minister Indira Gandhi declares a state of emergency in India.
- June 27, 1838 – Birth of Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Indian author, and poet (d. 1894)
- June 29, 2011 - Death of K.D. Sethna