, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- September 1 - Parsva Ekadashi
- September 1, 1896 - Birth of A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
- September 3 - Onam
- September 5 - Anant Chaturdashi, Ganesh Visarjan - Ganesh Chaturthi
- September 6 - Bhadrapada Purnima, Pratipada Shraddha
- September 6, Madhu Purnima: It occurs on the day of the full moon in the month of Bhadro (August/September). The day commemorates an occasion on which the Buddha retreated to the wilderness of Parileyya forest to bring peace between two quarrelling factions of disciples.
- September 9, 1947 - Death of Ananda Coomaraswamy
- September 11, 1893 – On the opening day of the first Parliament of the World's Religions in Chicago, Swami Vivekananda introduced Hinduism to the United States.
- September 16 - Indira Ekadashi, Kanya Sankranti, Vishwakarma Puja
- September 19 - Sarva Pitru Amavasya
- September 20 - Navratri Begins
- September 20, 1933 - Death of Annie Besant
- September 23 - Fall equinox
- September 27- Saraswati Avahan
- September 28 - Saraswati Puja, Durga Ashtami
- September 29 - Maha Navami
- September 30 - Dussehra, Vijayadashami