, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- July 4, 1902 – Death of Vivekananda, Indian monk and saint (b. 1863)
- July 7, 1982 – Death of Bon Maharaja, Indian guru and religious writer (b. 1901)
- July 11, 2006 – Mumbai train bombings: Two hundred nine people are killed in a series of bomb attacks in Mumbai, India.
- July 17, 1896 – Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi, the Indian sage, at age 16, spontaneously initiates a process of self-enquiry that culminates within a few minutes in his own permanent awakening.
- July 23, 1856 – Birth of Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Indian lawyer and journalist (d. 1920)
- July 26, 2008 – One day after similar bombings in Bangalore, 21 bombs exploded in Ahmedabad, India, killing 56 people and injuring over 200 others.
- July 26, Kargil Victory Day or Kargil Vijay Diwas
- July 31, Martyrdom Day of Shahid Udham Singh
- July 31, 1880 – Birth of Premchand, Indian author and playwright (d. 1936)