, योग Listen
) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. There is a broad variety of Yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism
. Among the most well-known types of yoga are Hatha yoga
and Rāja yoga
Yoga gurus from India later introduced yoga to the west, following the success of Swami Vivekananda in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 1980s, yoga became popular as a system of physical exercise across the Western world. Yoga in Indian traditions, however, is more than physical exercise; it has a meditative and spiritual core. (Full article...)
Did you know...
- ... that in 2012, a three-day World Congress of Religions conference was organized by the Institute of World Religions to commemorate the 150th birthday of Swami Vivekananda?
- ... that Tao Porchon-Lynch, who studied under Sri Aurobindo and Indra Devi, has been recognized as the world's oldest yoga teacher at age 95?
Welcome to Dharmapedia - an encyclopedia and wiki about dharmic religions
, culture, history, philosophy and arts.
In this month...
- December 03 Margashirsha Purnima, Dattatreya Jayanti
- December 3 2003 - Death of Sita Ram Goel
- December 11, 1931: Birth of Osho
- December 11, Death of Ravi Shankar
- December 13 Saphala Ekadashi
- December 15 Dhanu Sankranti
- December 16: Victory Day in Bangladesh and India (1971)
- December 21: Winter solstice
- December 26: 1998 - Death of Ram Swarup
- December 29 Pausha Putrada Ekadashi